Here we have collected a list of additional readings published by both the research team at Elements as well as other helpful resources published in the field of Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare (OBH). For a more in depth reading of the research, visit OBH Center publications and the Journal of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (JTSP).
- Discovering and Treating Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) in the Wilderness
- Overview of the similarities and differences between PDA and Autism Spectrum Disorder, and discussion of how to identify and diagnose this condition in a wilderness therapy setting.
- Preface to Volume 14 of JTSP: Neal Christensen, Ph.D.
- Introduction to latest volume of the Journal of Therapeutic Schools and Programs focused on Neurodiversity.
- Digital Media Overuse: Can Elements Wilderness Program improve the mental health functioning of adolescents with technology issues?
- A summary article focused on mental health functioning outcomes of adolescent clients at EWP with technology issues. Full article can be found here.
- Healing Sexual Trauma in the Wilderness
- Case study of a sixteen year old male at EWP suffering from a history of sexual abuse. The individual studied entered the program with a variety of issues and psychiatric diagnoses. He left the program demonstrating leadership, empathy and support of his peers and with a desire to be successful in his ongoing post-Elements therapeutic placement.
- Does Wilderness Therapy Work? Understanding the Research
- This article dives into the effectiveness of wilderness therapy and features Neal Christensen, PhD, the Clinical Director of Elements Wilderness Program